Friday, April 29, 2016

Danmoto SS-00001 Harley Davidson mufflers fitted to the Monster

I finally made a real effort to get these fitted.  I'd had a few looks at brackets, but then decided to do what I'm usually very reluctant to do, and go the cut.  I should do it more often, it was a rather liberating feeling.  I cut off the rear mounts, leaving the front ones for a cleaner look.  Then, using the steel pieces that come with the mufflers, I cut and drilled as required to make them work as brackets.  Followed by a quick bead blast, etch prime and paint, they were ready to go.  You can hardly see them in the photos, which is a good thing I guess.

You can see the offset mounts in the bottom two photos, one of the reasons it took me so long to make them work.  Like Hunnybunny, I have a thing for symmetry.  And, obviously, it's not Minnie.  This 900 was on the bench for other work, and I had tried previously fitting the Danmoto Jisu muffler set I have to it, ending in dismal failure.  The aluminium swingarm this M900S (98 I think) has is 15mm wider overall than the M600 steel swingarm, and I just couldn't get the Jisu mufflers to go anywhere near clearing.

There's a video at the end.  They're louder in real life (or is my laptop just too quiet, maybe it's a conceptual thing).  After riding and standing next to it, I'd put them at the higher end of the open muffler range I would think.

It's good to see them fitted.  It was a fair bit of agro to get this far, especially getting the muffler pipes made up.  Maybe only a bend and two flares, but getting people to understand what you want can be hard some times.

And then, of course, I started thinking about maybe using some much shorter muffler pipes and mounting the mufflers further forward.  Next time.










No comments: